For those who suffer from gout, there are many signs that a gout flare-up is about to occur. You can’t do much to stop the gout attack once it begins, but you can take care of it at home with a variety of treatments and procedures. You will have a gout attack if you have higher than normal levels of uric acid in your body and that uric acid starts to build up around a joint. When uric crystals start to form around your joint, it can cause a painful gout flare-up.
Tell-tale signs of a Pending Gout Flare-up
Gout also known as gouty arthritis is painful, and those who suffer from this condition say that they know when a flare-up is coming. They say that the attack starts with a tingling feeling in the joint or burning and itching about an hour or two before the flare-up. The joint can begin to feel sore and stiff and then not long after the gout attack occurs.
Some people do not have early warning signs that a gout flare-up is going to start. When the flare-up begins, there will be swelling, severe pain and redness around the joint. One very common place is in the big toe, but it can also occur in the ankle, elbow, wrist or knee. The pain that is experienced is often so powerful that it is painful to having anything even touch the joint. Most people say that even a bed sheet touching the inflamed joint is excruciating.
Caring for a Gout Flare-up at Home
If you have a gout diagnosis, it is likely that your doctor has given you some medication for a flare-up. Take this medicine as soon as you have a flare-up or when you first notice the signs of an imminent flare-up.
Natural Pain Relief:
You might need a little bit of extra help in addition to medication to help with gout flare-up pain:
- Rest your joint until the pain improves. Raise it onto a pillow and try not to move around too much.
- Be careful with what you consume. Foods high in purines can cause an increase in uric acid in the blood. The foods you should avoid are organ meats, seafood, red meats, chicken, fish, asparagus, mushrooms, peas, beans, lentils, cauliflower, and spinach. You should also avoid drinks that are sweetened with fructose and beer.
- Drink lots of water. If your body lacks water, uric acid levels can rise, and the increased water can help to stabilize uric acid, bringing it to a reasonable level.
- If the pain is not too intense, try using a cold compress or cold back on the joint to reduce inflammation and help with pain. Ice it for 20 minutes every hour.
- Cucumber juice can reduce body temperature, and is effective in removing uric acid crystallization in the joints. You may feel a bit of a pain if you drink this juice, but that is a sign that you are healing because there is a disturbance with the toxins that are being eliminated. The combination of celery and ginger in this juice helps to reduce the inflammation during the process of cleansing. You need to use a juicer to combine: a slice of lemon, 2 celery ribs, a medium sized cucumber and a 1 inch ginger root. Clean everything carefully with a vegetable wash, then cut the cucumber into smaller pieces that will fit into your juicer. Prepare the celery ribs by cleaning them and then cut the lemon in half. Carve out the ginger root. Combine and drink immediately.
Gout is very painful, but if you know which foods to avoid and how to treat a flare-up, you will find that you suffer through less pain. Take medication, if necessary and follow the steps that we have outlined in this article.